The Forest Products Commission (FPC) has developed the Karri forest management plan (KFMP) and Karri forest HCV assessment (HCV assessment) to meet the requirements of the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) Controlled Wood Standard (FSC-STD-30-010; FSC-C120630) and the associated FSC Australia’s High Conservation Values (HCVs) evaluation framework. The FPC sources timber from pure and mixed karri forest, which is available for harvesting under the Forest Management Plan 2014-2023.
A copy of the FPC’s FSC® Controlled Wood certificate and audit reports are available on the following website.
The FPC undertakes stakeholder consultation on the identification of high conservation values (HCVs) within the defined forest management unit (FMU) and the precautionary measures in place to protect them. At each revision of the KFMP and HCV assessment, stakeholder feedback has been considered. More recently the May 2019 versions of the KFMP and HCV assessment were reviewed and updated as part of a periodic review. The March 2020 version of the KFMP and HCV assessment are now available to download:
Summaries of the changes that have been made since the May 2019 versions of the KFMP and HCV assessment were reviewed are available to view here:
- Summary of changes made to the Karri forest management plan (PDF 243 KB)
- Summary of changes made to the Karri forest HCV assessment (PDF 330 KB)
Some key external references that are referred to in the KFMP and HCV assessment are available for download:
FPC information sheets
In addition, some brief information materials have been developed and are available here:
Information sheet - Management of threatened and priority species in the karri forests (PDF 414 KB)
Information sheet - Management of karri old-growth forests (PDF 1.27 MB)
Information sheet - Fauna and cockatoo surveys in the karri forest (PDF 457 KB)
We have developed a procedure for ensuring no Type 2 old-growth karri forest is harvested. This procedure was last updated in March 2020, with the key change being:
- Noting that although the revised version of FSC® Australia’s High Conservation Values Framework (2019) no longer distinguishes between Type 1 and Type 2 old growth forest, FPC will continue to identify and protect all areas mapped as Type 2 old growth.
. This procedure is available here:
- Procedure 47 - Identification, assessment, and demarcation of Type 2 old-growth karri forest (PDF 827 KB)
Procedure 46 - Targeted fauna surveys within pure and mixed karri forest was updated in March 2020. The key changes are:
- Probability of occurrence of the malleefowl has increased from 3 to 1, western pygmy trapdoor spider has decreased from 1 to 2, and bilby has decreased from 3 to 4.
This procedure is available here:
Karri forest monitoring results
Reports on karri fauna monitoring are now available:
- Report on karri fauna monitoring objectives, targets and performance measures - June 2020 (PDF 2.22 MB)
- Report on karri fauna monitoring objectives, targets and performance measures - June 2019 (PDF 2.73 MB)
- Report on karri fauna monitoring objectives, targets and performance measures - June 2018 (PDF 875 KB)
- Report on karri fauna monitoring objectives, targets and performance measures - June 2017 (PDF 547 KB)
- Report on karri fauna monitoring objectives, targets and performance measures - March 2016 (PDF 678 KB)
Other FPC publications
The karri fauna monitoring training manual is available here:
- Karri fauna monitoring training manual (PDF 2.9 MB)
The Forest Products Commission welcomes your feedback. Periodic revisions of the KFMP and HCV assessment will be made as required. We are currently seeking feedback on these documents by Friday, 8 May 2020.
If you wish to provide feedback on the KFMP and HCV assessment, you are encouraged to provide
your comment via an online feedback form, which is available through the following link
The online feedback form will be available until close of business on Friday, 8 May 2020.
Feedback can be provided via:
Phone: (08) 9363 4600
Written feedback can also be sent to:
Forest Products Commission
Locked Bag 888
Perth Business Centre
Western Australia 6849
Note, you are welcome to request a meeting with one of our staff and/or request further information.
Please note that we appreciate that comments made to us take time and we will always respond to you with information on how your feedback has been considered.
The feedback will be collated and considered for the next revision of the KFMP and HCV assessment.
Your comments can remain private if you wish. If you do not explicitly request that your feedback remains private it may be published (along with your name).